Thursday, February 24, 2011

Accents

Why do we have accents? Don't get me wrong, they are the best, but why did we ever start saying things differently from others? Watch this video for some examples. Creepy.

I was sitting with my friend and housemate Kristen today helping her to study for a phonetics test, and the thought came upon me. -Real quick though, I've found a new love and its phonetics. Shoutout to muh girl Kris for listening to the word "marmalade" non-stop and sparking my interest.

But fo' reals. Accents, love 'em, confused by 'em. There's probably some scholarly answer to this question, but I don't care. I want to hear a story from the first person who started saying "egg" like "ayg" or "oil" like "ole." I want to talk to those people. Did they just all of a sudden say "hey, I wanna be different. I'm a trend-setter." Were they the original indies (OI)? Or did it happen naturally? I wonder how many accents I've never heard. I wonder what kind of accent I have to people that don't speak english. Or what kind of spanish accent I have to native speakers.

I love how stereotypes have come along with accents. Well I don't love it, but it's interesting. What do people think of me when they first hear me speak? Do I have a thick accent to anyone? I think it would be pretty cool to have a very distinctive accent. It would be really sweet to study all the different accents. If thats even possible. I wonder if there are new accents forming even now. That's crazy. Does using different words count as an accent? For example, if two different people say "That's skippin'" or, "That's so ridiculous" but with the same sounds, do they have different accents? Again, could probably google this, but I'm gonna blog about it because I want you to know my deepest thoughts. I will continue to ponder; ponder with me? I know what you're thinking, Sarah, did you just use a semi colon and the word ponder in the sentence? Yeah! I'm a genius!




Music for you to ponder boogie to




PEASOWT

No comments:

Post a Comment